Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Humility bumped up against My Soul

Reflections from Sundays Worship Gathering

This past weekend was amazing at Boundless Grace Church. Our worship team set a wonderful climate of intimacy with Jesus and the people responded beautifully. The sounds of worship filled our facility and the presence of the Spirit was evident. I felt that there was a corporate expectation for God to work among his people.

On this particular morning I was wrapping up a series called, Shoe Leather Theology from the letter of James. This final section from James 5 deals with prayer and healing, which in my estimation are deep water faith issues.

I have never really spoken of healing before, and I was so aware of my weakness and inability to “make it happen.” In fact, all week in preparation I felt a strong sense of humility bumping up against my soul. After all, who am I that I would be called upon to anoint the sick with oil and pray for the healing of the physically and spiritually sick among us?

On this special morning, several of our old friends from around the country were in attendance. These folks had come together for a Friendship Reunion, a bunch of godly people who all worshipped together in the same Church in days gone by.

Within this cluster of friends was a sister with cancer and others who were in need of both physical and spiritual healing as well. And along with this folks were many others in the Church who needed healing and/or deliverance. In fact, one man approached me during our worship set and told me that he had fallen off the wagon the previous week and was ready to repent, even publicly if necessary. This man had no idea that my message would involve confessing sins and seeking prayer from the Elders.

Well, after wrapping up my message on prayer and healing, I invited Bryan Maxwell, a dear brother and fellow Elder to join me in interceding for those in the Church who wanted to “call upon the Elders.” I also invited those among us who have a strong heart for intercession to help us pray for our people. In this context, the altar was flooded with people who came forth for prayer as Boundless Grace became a house of prayer. in this holy moment together.

During this prayer time it seemed as if, with every person that stepped out of their seat, came and deeper awareness of the Spirit and his anointing to minister among us.

In my many years of doing ministry, this particular morning was unique and special, and will not be forgotten any time soon. And although I don’t know exactly what the outcome of this morning will bring, I would not be surprised to learn of healing and and help from God in tangible ways.

An interesting after effect of this morning was that someone from our group of old friends gave the largest financial offering that Boundless Grace has ever received.

In summary, I am so thankful that humility bumped up against my soul. To God be the glory, great things he has done!

Praise to Jehovah Raffa! (the God who heals)

No comments:

Post a Comment