Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Unworthy, worst of sinners, and less than least of every one in the Church...yet being used of God

Do you feel unworthy of God's love and divine purposes for your life?  Well, if your like me you do.  After all, who am I to tell others about Jesus?  For, my past life alone should disqualify me from God's love. and if not from his love, certainly from the ministry whether vocational or as a volunteer.  And even if God were to put my past sins behind me (which he did) certainly the imperfections of my present life should disqualify me from ministry. After all, there are many more qualified people than me that God could use to get his work done through.  Well, can you relate? Does this sound like you?  Well, if so, keep reading because I believe there is good news for people like us.  Good news found in one beautiful word, GRACE!  That's right, GRACE. For Grace alone explains how God could love and save sinners like us and even choose to use us for His glory, regardless of how unworthy we feel.   

"not worthy"

Several years ago I was studying Paul's letter to the Church at Corinth and stumbled upon a phrase that stuck to the ribs of my soul.  In context, Paul was defending  not only the doctrine of the resurrection but himself as an Apostle. You see, many people were hostile toward Paul and were always trying to discredit his ministry.  And its in this context that Paul defends himself without denying his unworthy status, 

For I am the least of the Apostles and not worthy to be called an Apostle, because I persecuted the Church of God.  But (a "big but" I might add) by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God in me 1Cor15:9-10
 
I am what I am by the grace of God, did you catch that phrase?  He did not say, I am who I am but what I am. That is to say, I am qualified to serve even though unworthy because God's grace and not a godly life is the cause behind the calling. You see, God chooses, the base things of the world and the despised to show off His amazing grace (1Cor1:28).

On a personal note: This phrase, "I am what I am" is written in the front cover of my Bible and serves to embolden me every time I stand in a pulpit to preach. I am what I am by grace alone!!!!

I am the "worst" of sinners

Lest you think that Paul's remarks in Corinthians concerning his sense of unworthiness was an isolated incident, think again.  When writing to a young pastor named Timothy, Paul proclaims the following, 
 
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. 1Tim 1:15-16
 
You see, Paul's past life was never far from the front of his mind. Yet, he understood his sinful past as one of God's choice examples of GRACE that would not only forgive a man's sins but provide a living example of not only who God chooses but who He uses!  
 
Less the Least of all of God's people
 
Okay, one final example to underscore Paul's sense of unworthiness and the Grace of God.  In Ephesians 3, Paul explains the implications of the good news of Jesus and once again, his sense of unworthiness comes to the surface:
 
I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. Although I am less than the least of all the Lord’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the boundless riches of Christ. Ephesians 3:7-8
 
Less than least of all the Lord's people?   Come on Paul, stop with the false humility stuff, and what's up with this "all of God's people" thing.  Certainly your sins are not worst then ours.  After all, you were sinning in ignorance while we committed our sins intentionally.  How can you say all of this?   His answer might be, because this is how I feel and the Holy Spirit has inspired me to write this statement.  Therefore, I am not being self depreciating out of false humility but  from a place of honest transparency.  Never the less, God's grace was given to me to preach his boundless grace(the riches of Christ) to people who are tore up from the floor up.
 
In closing, my dear blogger friends, just because we feel unworthy, the worst of sinners, and less than least  of everyone in the Church, we must not allow these feelings to derail us from proclaiming Jesus to a lost world.  In fact, the reason we were chosen is to show others how boundless God's grace really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment